Pupil Premium and free school meals
If your child is eligible for ‘free school meals’ and you register them for this, school will receive extra funding called ‘pupil premium’. We use this extra money to improve the educational provision and resources in school.
What is pupil premium funding?
Pupil premium funding from the government is given to schools to help pupils reach their full potential. It is provided for pupils who:
- Are registered for free school meals
- Have been registered for free school meals at any point in the past 6 years
- Are, or have been, in care
- Have parents in the armed forces
School receives an extra £1,320 for every eligible pupil who is registered for free school meals even if your child is in Reception, Y1 & Y2.
You may be able to claim for Free School Meals if you claim for any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Eligible for Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and the household income (as used by HMRC to assess tax credits) is not more that £16,190. Please note: anyone eligible for Working Tax Credit, or if you have a partner and they receive it, regardless of Income, you will not qualify
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- In receipt of the 4 week run on of working tax credit (this is where someone becomes unemployed or reduces their hours and so is no longer entitled to working tax credit but will continue to receive it for a further 4 weeks and is entitled to free meals during that time)
- Universal credit (provided you have an annual net earned household income of no more than £7,400 as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods). Your net earned income is your household income after taxes and deductions and does not include income from Universal Credit or any other benefits you may receive.
If you are in receipt of any of the above please complete the details on the back of this letter and return to the school office.